Wednesday 13 August 2014

A Question For Vapers From A Proud Smoker

A semi-question, semi-rant was posted on Facebook yesterday which - although I mostly disagree - raised some interesting discussion points.

I've known Peter Thurgood online for longer than I've been writing this blog and have met him and his wife on a number of occasions. The most recent times have usually begun with a greeting followed by good-natured banter about what I'm vaping and how he believes my e-cig looks a bit silly.

I don't mind as he's a very decent guy who is absolutely pro-choice (yes, even for e-cigs) and writes illuminating e-books on historical London which I heartily recommend, so not an idiot. But, as someone who really enjoys a smoke, he does have this bee in his bonnet about e-cigs which (I think) is driven by a fear that they pose a threat to people like him who are happy with tobacco and don't want to be rail-roaded into an alternative.

Perhaps many recent FB updates pointing out e-cig articles prompted this, but I did promise him last night to share with vapers to ask their views. So whaddya reckon, vapers? Or smokers, for that matter?
I don't particularly care if e-cigs are healthier or unhealthier than the real thing. I make no secret of the fact that I personally hate the thought of them. If I go into a bar I want to drink the real thing, not some kiddie flavoured alco-pop, and the same goes for smoking - the feel of a cigarette or a cigar is soft and warm to the touch, and the flavour and aroma is real and fantastic, whereas an e-cig is a piece of cold plastic with steam puffing out the end and no wonderful aromas at all. 
I also find the majority of people (not all) who use e-cigs to be far more anti social than real smokers. A good example is when I was in a restaurant recently and the owner went outside to smoke. I then saw it was an e-cig he was puffing on so when he came back inside I asked him why he went outside to do that when it is perfectly legal to use these things inside. He replied rather shirtily "Why should I change the habit of a lifetime" (what bloody lifetime was that I wondered?) 
He then said how healthy he was since he gave up smoking and used e-cigs instead and how his grandchildren now wanted to be with him and how he no longer stunk. 
So what this supercilious bastard was saying, was that I stank? And that my family wouldn't want to be near me? When you hear people talk like that, does anyone blame me for being against e-cigs?
Although Peter is exclusively active on Facebook, I know he'll be reading here so bear that in mind. Of course, if you're replying there, you can no doubt talk to him directly ... he's far from shy.


No comments: